Last Friday was my final day at the boys' school in Kenmare. No, I didn't cry--I have found peace with moving on from the old to new experiences. I was sad to be leaving their little faces (essentially) forever, though. With the child protection laws in Ireland, I would have had to get all of the parents' permission to get a class photo. Just a casual photo of all of the 54 students together would have required permission slips--had I known this earlier, then I would have arranged it. Now I'll just have to live with the memories.
The pleasant thing about leaving is surprisingly finding out that your work was appreciated. I teach because I feel like that is my intention in life and I cannot see myself doing anything else. Children's learning is important to me and I want to be a part of teaching as many children as I can. What I forgot to realize is that these children do go home and talk about their teachers. Because of this, on my last day, I got two Easter eggs, a Kenmare magnet, two bouquets of daffodils, a lotion and shower gel set, a chocolate Easter bunny, and lots of notes from parents and students. That is the only moment I got teary-eyed. It was surprising to see that so many of the kids had taken a liking to me and that their parents had appreciated my efforts at the school, too. (By the way, giving Easter eggs is a big deal in the UK and Ireland. These are huge chocolate eggs that come with extra chocolates and toys on the side. There are many brands and types to choose from and they are not hard-boiled or dyed.)
While I moved on from the boys' school and am now preparing to go to the girls', I'm finding a lot of life-changing events coming my way in the next few weeks. I will be graduating on May 8 and I am actually really nervous about this. I don't get nervous about much, but with graduation approaching, I feel like I'm being pushed at 100 miles per hour with a blindfold held tightly over my eyes. I know that life will go on after college, but the uncertainty of where I will be teaching is driving me crazy. Going to college is easy--do the work, go to class, participate, and that's it. Now things are going to be up in the air without a plan or schedule, and that is not easy for me to prepare for.
I know that everything always works out, but right now I feel like I am running to the edge where I will free fall and where no constant exists.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment