I know there have to be places in Ireland that are experiencing a recession, but it is not in Kenmare. Things are ridiculously overpriced in this town and people are regularly filling the shops to buy the expensive designer wear and wool sweaters. Yes, some of the people are in fact on holiday and are spending their hard-earned money; but, the others are townies and are most definitely living the life.
People can spend their money how they want--I don't care. What annoys me is that the people in Kenmare have uttered the word 'recession' more times than they say 'hello' to the person they pass on the sidewalk. As far as I can see, there is no recession here. Girls talk about money-troubled times in one sentence and then a minute later can say how they are buying a dress to wear to a wedding for 215 Euros. Puh-lease.
Most of the children I teach are in the middle class group, which I can relate to; but, there are some on the extremes of the socioeconomic backgrounds, too. In one instance, I was waiting outside with a little girl for her parents to pick her up after school. I asked her what car we were looking out for and she said, "Well, my dad drives the silver Mercedes and my mom drives the black BMW." Oh. Right. I was just fishing for more of a color or style, like mini-van or truck or car.
Just a hunch, but Ireland: You're gonna make it after all (Mary Tyler Moore). I wouldn't worry about any economic crumble.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment