On Saturday I finally arrived back in England! I have been waiting to visit for over a year now and the time has finally come! Flying into Liverpool was full of flashbacks of good memories and a feeling of 'coming home' that I have only felt once before--when flying back into the States. I recognized Hope Street with the massive Catholic and Anglican churches at either end which gave me the feeling that I would not only run into familiar sights, but maybe people I knew, too! Unfortunately, I didn't see any of my old friends from Edge Hill. Lee kindly met me in the city center, though! Just being back in Liverpool lifted my morale by about 100 percent.
Outsiders to England might appreciate this next observation. To citizens of England: Take no offense, please. There seems to be a gap from young child to teenager in England. Small eight-year-olds walk around with fancy boots, grown-up scarves, and fashionable jackets with full accessories to go with the outfit. They all look and talk like little women! Where has the youthfulness gone? I have yet to see any eight- to fourteen-year-olds just smiling and playing around. They have these permanent stares on their faces as if they are in a couture magazine shoot and their language is far beyond their years. It's shocking and sad at the same time.
This country does appreciate staying young-looking, but it seems like everyone wants to average their appearance to age twenty--even the little kids! I did notice this last year when I was here, but working more in the schools and around children, it looks even more unnatural than the first time I witnessed it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment