Today, I saw a leprechaun, a rainbow, a pot of gold, a four-leaf clover, and everyone was wearing green!
Oops, I lied. Actually, about three people were wearing green and there were three-leafed shamrocks in the windows in town, but other than that today was not much different than every other day in Ireland. In a few of the larger cities, parades were held to honor the day and all government-run facilities were closed—including school! Whoohoo! A day off is always good to provide time to recuperate and see more of the nature trails around town.
My new friend Matt and I went to the trails by the lake and the day turned from bright, warm, and sunny to cloudy, cool, and drizzly within an hour! Not cool, Ireland. It was nice to have someone to talk to and not pay .50 cents per minute to do so! I had been calling home and Lee a lot just to have people to talk to and it was costing a lot of money, so this is a nice break for my bank account.
On the way back from the nature walk, I did ‘celebrate’ St. Patrick’s Day by buying a little chocolate cupcake with bright green icing on top at a local bakery. A cupcake with icing is my kind of party—not really looking to join the locals for a romp out on the town tonight. A cupcake, leftovers, and Glee and Friends on television are alright with me. It’s amazing to compare how Americans and Irish celebrate St. Patrick’s Day and how different it actually is. We just need to settle down over there. People really go out of control to show their excitement over the fact that a man named Patrick brought Christianity to Ireland. Yes, I’m sure that they know why they’re celebrating the day…
To Mom: The cupcake wasn’t as good as your cupcakes are! I am really missing your cut-out cookies, peanut butter pie, and coffee cake. You should start a bakery. Sunday was Mother’s Day here—HAPPY EUROPEAN MOTHER’S DAY!
No comments:
Post a Comment