Most days in the boys’ school, I am on cloud nine and would prefer to spend my entire day working in the school with the children than ever go out to fraternize with people my own age. The children bring such joy, and like music, the first glance into their expression-filled faces can change your emotional state in a blink. I absolutely know that I am in the profession I was meant to be because even if I won the lottery tomorrow, then I would still go in to teach everyday until the government said I had to move out and collect my retirement.
There are times though, when I feel like Sidney Poitier in To Sir, With Love. The oldest boys I work with are “first class” which is like first grade, ages six and seven. The way that students are allowed to act sometimes can be a culture shock to an American teacher. For instance, the students talk over one another, over the teacher, and continue talking no matter what classroom management technique is used. All of this talking and yelling of ‘Teacher!’ reminds me of the scene where Poitier is brought before this rebellious class of secondary school students and he gives them a look as if to say, “Are you serious? You speak like this to a teacher?” But, he works his way into their hearts and earns their respect, just like every teacher has to now. I believe the days of respect for teachers merely because they are ‘teachers’ is over, and I am not at all shaken about this. I think that if the children are shown respect, provided with rich learning experiences, and get the opportunity to work in a well-structured classroom, that the respect from them to their teachers will flow smoothly.
I haven’t had my Poitier breakthrough yet, but I did receive my first card from a ‘junior infant’ named Jude—who is from England—and his mother. Last Friday, I sent home a letter to the parents, which Jude’s mom very much appreciated and took the time to send in a card. Jude also signed the card, “Thank you for dodge ball. I love you. X From Jude.”
And I said, “Hey Jude. Don’t make it bad. Take a sad song and make it better. Remember to let her into your heart then you can start to make it better.”
Typical day in the classroom
(Junior and Senior Infants stay from 9:20 until 2)
(First class and up stay from 9:20 until 3):
Morning prayers
Music (twice a week)—Irish dancing or in-class singing/tin flute playing
Irish lessons
Religion
Recess
English/Reading
Snack
Recess
Lunch
Maths
P.E./Art/Drama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment